Monday, August 23, 2010

The Score is even, 1 and 1.

Not much to talk about lately, my family returned from and extended stay abroad recently and they have kept me busy.  Until today that is.  Today was my day off, the little one had school and my better half had plans.  I was off to ride the Creeks of Warren County with my Trusty GoPro HD Hero.  It was a Great day of riding, I put about 200 miles on the clock mostly on gravel and I shot 16 GB of HD footage half a 60 fps.  Well I filled up the 16 GB card but I only thought it was HD footage.  Turns out I shot 1200 5mp images 2 seconds apart and I found the main weakness of the GoPro HD Hero, it's archaic menu system.  Even though I studied the user guide the night before my ride I some how messed up when trying to change from 720p @ 30fps to 720p @ 60fps.  So until I can sort through all the images (should make an interesting time-lapse) I leave you with a teaser of 3 consecutive images shot at 2 second intervals, enjoy.  I guess I found the second flaw in the GoPro HD Hero, it's numbering system!  I have 5 sets of images all with the same number!

GAW.


It's called SLIME... and it's slippy, very slippy.

4 comments:

RichardM said...

All I can say is ouch! That'll leave a mark. Nice teaser.

What kind of mount do you use for the camera?

682202 said...

Luckily not to big a mark ;-)

It's a Mini Cardellini clamp and ball head. It works great, I believe Gary France is also using one on his travels.

Unknown said...

Gordon:

Oh no, not again. Yes the GoProHD has lots of flaws. When you turned it on you held the ON button too long and it went to the next mode, which was time lapse. I have done it myself. It filled the whole card with thousand so 2 second photos. I have done some testing and you only have to HOLD the ON button for a very short time. To turn it off you have to hold it for more than 2 seconds. I dislike the status screen in front.

One day I went to hit the TOP button to start recording. I guess I didn't push hard enough so while I thought it was recording it wasn't. Then when I went to turn it OFF, I actually turned it ON. Lots of times I just live it in IDLE (Ready) Mode. Later I couldn't figure out why the battery was dead.

There should be status LED's on the rear panel. And also a Green LED to show the camera is on, and a RED LED to show it is recording.

Hope you didn't aggravate your previous injury

bob
Wet Coast Scootin

682202 said...

Bob,

The score is even, last time the soft human took the brunt of the crash, this time the bike did. It made a nasty sound scraping on the concrete bridge, but only the gear lever got tweaked.

I need to practice changing settings on the GoPro until I can do it blind folded. I agree at the very least they should have indicator led's on the back.