Saturday, February 7, 2009

A little bit of history.

To start with I would like to give you a little bit of history. The about me section to the right has been parred down in order to fit the space available, even though there is more details the information below is just the tip of the Iceberg.

Gordon has been riding motorcycles since the age of 12. He has owned 2 Yamaha (1978 DT100, 1980 IT125), 1 Honda (1982 GL500 Silverwing), 1 Kawasaki (1988 EX500) and his current bike a 1996 BMW R850r. He purchased the BMW new in August 1996, it currently has 50,000+ miles on the clock. Gordon has ridden the BMW to the Atlantic ocean and Pacific ocean and most points between including parts of Canada. He became a member of the Iron Butt Association in 2001 by completing a SaddleSore 1000 from Bend Oregon to Sidney Nebraska. He completed the 1127 mile ride in less than 22 hours. Gordon is a member of the Gateway Riders BMW motorcycle club, although not as active now, he has held the office of Treasurer for 2 terms, served as Membership Director for 2 terms and served as Editor of the Gateway Gazette from 2003 through 2005. He still does some traveling on the BMW, but most of his riding is the commute to and from work.

Some day I will find a photo of my first motorcycle and post it. I wish I had a better photo of #3 the Honda, that appears to be the only photo I have of the bike. Some times I wish I had kept the Honda as it was a great bike and I paid very little for it, but that is the way of life. Plus If I had kept the Honda, then I wouldn't have sold the Kawaski and bought an Eagle Talon (Turbo AWD), I wouldn't have sold the Eagle and bought a Corvette, and I most certainly would not have sold the Corvette to buy the BMW which is by far the best motorcycle I have had. My first 4 motorcycles never strayed far from home and never collected many miles. I had only had the BMW for a month when I was called to the road. That first trip was maybe 1800 miles, more miles than I had put on either of my 2 prevouis street bikes.

I have some two wheel plans this year so stay tuned.

More to come.

GAW

No comments: